This article is part of our Training Camp Notes series.
The biggest news of the day comes out of Indianapolis, as we learned that T.Y. Hilton suffered a hamstring injury, and although it's reported to be minor, hamstring injuries can be very difficult to predict in terms of when a player will return to full health. Risk averse fantasy managers may consider dropping Hilton down on draft boards, and his current ADP as WR25 could see a slight tumble as well. For now, it seems premature to alter projections for Michael Pittman and Parris Campbell, but if Hilton's injury lingers for more than a few weeks, adjusting the other Indy WRs will be in order.
· Although he's on schedule in his anticipated Week 1 return from offseason hip surgery, Jarvis Landry was placed on the Browns' active PUP list. Unless further news emerges, Landry is looking like a value at his current ADP of WR33, as he and Odell Beckham are expected to soak up the majority of WR targets from Baker Mayfield.
· If there was any uncertainty as to whether Greg Zuerlein would be the kicker in Dallas, those concerns can be put to rest after the Cowboys released Kai Forbath. As the kicker for what projects to be one of the better offenses in the league, Zuerlein offers a great combo of floor and ceiling, as well as being able to convert easily on attempts outside of 50 yards, and he should be one of the top kickers selected in drafts.
· Moving to Detroit, Geronimo Allison has opted out of the 2020 season, and although he was expected to be in the mix for the team's fourth WR spot, he was largely going undrafted in most fantasy leagues. In his absence, Marvin Hall and Quintez Cephus stand a better chance to emerge as the No. 4, but unless they find a way into the regular receiver rotation, they'll have very limited fantasy value.
· Our other opt-out of the 2020 season that occurred today was Matt LaCosse of the Patriots, who was the eighth member of the team making that decision. After catching just 13 passes for 131 yards and a touchdown, his limited fantasy value took a hit after the team added Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene in the 2020 draft.
· We also had four prominent players placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list- Gardner Minshew and Ryquell Armstead of the Jaguars along with James Washington and Jaylen Samuels of the Steelers. This basically means that either the players tested positive, or they were in close proximity to someone else who tested positive. There's no reason to alter any of their fantasy projections unless further updates lead us down that path. As news emerges, continue looking to RotoWire for updates regarding the status of these players.
· Since depth could be an important element that teams may need to have to get through what could be a very odd season, the Raiders signed Jeremy Hill to a contract. The 28-year-old has had just 31 carries since 2016, and he'll be a longshot to have significant fantasy value unless the team loses multiple players at RB.
· And to finish up with a great story, Alex Smith (leg) has participated in four straight days of on-field workouts, and although he seems unlikely to be more than a backup QB for Washington should he make it all the way back, just the fact that he's on the field after the terrible injury he suffered is phenomenal news.